You’re invited to an informational Open House on Sunday, March 14th from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Meet our administrators and faculty. View our classrooms. Explore our award-winning curriculum. For more information, please call 407-442-0393.
We are excited about the coming school year and hope you are, too! Please see our Facebook page to learn more about our ongoing online informational meetings. Also, stay up to date by “liking” our page!
Highlands Latin School is an excellent choice for students who enjoy the challenge of learning. HLS will be accepting applications for the 2021-22 school year.
Highlands Latin Cottage School serves the community by offering a robust classical education to the modern student within a community of moral excellence. We seek to inculcate wisdom and virtue through the study of the liberal arts and the Great Books in a distinctly Christian environment. Our one day program blends traditional homeschooling practices with onsite, high-quality teacher-led learning.
At Highlands Latin Orlando we teach the Memoria Press curriculum. Memoria Press offers a complete classical curriculum structured with age appropriate, process-based learning. Well-paced, visually-appealing, and systematic, the Memoria Press curriculum will bring out the best in your student’s academic abilities.
Highlands Latin Orlando is a Classical Latin School Association partner member.
At HLS Orlando…
We take a truly classical approach to learning. At Highlands Latin we take a Latin centered classical approach to, as Aquinas says, “ordering things rightly” in the heart and mind of the student.
We order the mind with Latin. The study of Latin begins as soon as the student reads English fluently and with mastery, typically in 2nd grade, and provides a unifying spine for our language arts curriculum. Vocabulary, spelling, and grammar are all augmented through a mastery of the Latin language. Latin study also orders and disciplines the mind. As the mother tongue of Western Civilization, Latin is central to classical education.
We are focused on the liberal arts, which are the skills needed to equip a thinker to approach any subject. They consist of the trivium and the quadrivium.
The trivium are language skills:
Grammar – the structure and science of language
Logic – the structure and content of argument
Rhetoric – the art of persuasion
The quadrivium are mathematical skills:
Arithmetic – the study of discrete number
Geometry – the study of continuous number
Music – the application of discrete number
Astronomy – the application of continuous number
We teach the Great Books. These books form the literary foundation of the Western world. We read the classics in their original languages. We read and discuss the best of literature throughout the ages supported by the Memoria Press curricular materials.
2020 – 2021 Tuition
|3rd – 4th||Mon.||$1,900||$250|
|5th – 6th||Mon.||$1,900||$250|
|7th – 8th||Mon.||$1,900||$250|
|9th – 12th||Mon.||$2,000||$250|
Enrollment Fee and Book Fee are due upon acceptance and are non-refundable.
- Enrollment Fee/Book Fee received by March 30: $500/student
- Enrollment Fee/Book Fee received by April 1-30: $525/student
- Enrollment Fee/Book Fee received by May 1-31: $550/student
In addition to tuition, families are required to purchase a school uniform, as well as some school supplies.
Tuition or payment plan is due on May 31st. The fact that HLS allows tuition to be paid in installments does not create a fractional contract or in any way relieve the parents responsibility for the entire tuition.
Failure to submit tuition or payment plan jeopardizes your child’s placement in their classes.
After enrollment closes on July 1st, no withdrawals can be made from HLS without forfeiture of the entire tuition as teachers have been hired and classes confirmed with a fixed number of students.
The goal of Highlands Orlando’s dress code is to foster academic focus, dignity, and community to each student. Orderly outer dress and appearance reflects one’s focus and self-discipline. Order your school uniforms from the official Highlands Latin School Uniform provider here.
See our school uniform guidelines here. Everything that is worn, and the manner in which it is worn, should complement the overall appearance of the uniform, not compete with or detract from it. In cases where a question arises, decisions will be left to the discretion of the HLS administration.
- All shirts should be tucked in.
- Non-uniform clothing, including spirit wear, may not be worn in classrooms except Port Authority fleece zipper jackets for boys and young men.
- Plain white t-shirts or camisoles may be worn under shirts and blouses. Undershirts for girls should not be visible at the neckline.
- Girls should wear minimal, simple jewelry. Stud earrings or small hoops, chains with a small pendant, and/or watch are acceptable.
- Boys who wear a simple gold or silver chain, with or without a pendant, must keep it under their shirts.
- Cloth, leather or plastic jewelry is not allowed.
- Girls’ hair should be neat and out of eyes. Hair accessories must match the uniform (white, red, navy, black, brown, navy houndstooth, or Highlands Uniforms plaids), and not be excessive (large bows, headbands wider than 1”, no bandeau style, etc).
- Boys’ hair should be neatly groomed, above mid-ear, off the face, and off the collar. Hair cut should be conservative. Transition from side to top should be gradual. No facial hair.
- Hair should not be dyed in unnatural colors.
- Conservative makeup may be worn by girls in grade 7-12. Nail polish should be a traditional, conservative color, or clear.
- Girls’ skirts can be no shorter than 1” above the knee.
- If in doubt about any item, bring it by the school office for approval.
The Cottage School meets on Monday for our core program. For students enrolled in our core program, they may also register for additional courses on Friday. Course schedule will be finalized during registration period based on enrollment. Classes are kept to a minimum teacher to student ratio. All instruction is provided in-class, with parent-supervised work being completed at home on the remaining days.
Cottage School Courses
Latin 8:00 – 10:00 AM
- Latina Christiana 3+
- First Form Grade 5+
- Second Form Grade 6+
- Third Form/Fourth Form Grade 7+
Classical Studies 10:00 – 11:30 AM
- D’Aulaires’ Greek Myths 3+
- Famous Men of Rome Grades 5+
- Famous Men of the Middle Ages Grades 7+
- Ancient Romans/AeneidGrades 9+
Literature 12:00 – 2:00 PM
- Literature Grades 3-4
- Literature Grades 5-6
- Literature Grades 7-8
- Literature Grades 9-12
- IEW 3-4
- Fable and Narrative 5+
- Chreia & Maxim and Refutation & Confirmation 7+
- Math 3/4: $500
- Math 5/6: $500
- Pre-Algebra: $500
- Algebra I: $500
- Algebra II: $500
- Geometry: $500
- States & Capitals 3-4: $375
- Geography I 5+: $375
- Geography III 7+: $375
- Renaissance & Reformation Times 9+: $375
- Mammals 3+: $500
- Book of Insects 5+: $500
- Book of Trees/Exploring the World of Biology 7+: $500
- Chemistry 9+: $500
- Physics 9+: $500
- Biology 9+: $500
Christian Studies 2:00-3:30
- Christian Studies I 3+: $375
- Christian Studies II 5+: $375
- Christian Studies IV 7+: $375
- The Story of Christianity: A History of 2,000 Years of Christian Faith 9+: $375
Monitored Academic Study Hall
For students attending Friday classes who may have open period.
- 1.5 Hour Classes: $90
- 2 Hour Classes: $120
To learn more about Highlands Latin School Cottage School Orlando contact Admissions at 407-442-0393 or by email at email@example.com
Highlands Latin Cottage School meets on the campus of Highlands Latin School, located at 1600 S. Orlando Avenue, Winter Park, Florida 32789.